As the summer months get hotter, there is nothing better than a refreshing light dessert to end your dinner and day with. Using fresh strawberries just screams out summer time!
I did something different and added gluten-free flour rather than making it all almond flour because the gluten-free flour gives it the light fluffy characteristic that makes this dessert not so heavy. I also played around with a new baking sweetener called “Just Like Sugar” made from Chickory Root and it actually gave it the sweetness that it needed, but didn’t over power the rest of the flavors. I put an Amazon Affiliate link to it so that you can look into it because it is great from baking.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sweetener (stevia or I used “Just Like Sugar”)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Hand full of sliced almonds for garnishing
- Fresh cut up strawberries
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sweetener (sweeten to taste with stevia)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix almond flour, gluten-free flour, and sweetener together. Then add butter, eggs, vanilla, salt and mix together until fully combined into a dough
scoop batter into muffin tins and sprinkle sliced almonds on top for garnish.
- Bake for 20-15 minutes until golden
- Remove cakes from muffin tin and allow to cool completely
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream with tablespoon of sweetener until peaks form.
- With a knife, cut the shortbread cake in half horizontally. Scoop whipped cream and strawberries onto the short bread halves and cover it with the tops, creating a sandwich
- Get ready to indulge and enjoy!
Serves 6, Carb: 5g, Fiber: 1g
Check out my recipe featured on Further Food along with nutritionalist commentary: Strawberry Almond Shortbread (Gluten Free, Low-Carb