I am such a fan of smoothies & smoothie bowls. Not only are they delicious to eat, but they also require incorporating some of your own culinary creativity in coming up with the designs and blends that you want.
For us Type 1s, some smoothies can be pretty high in sugar, which is why I like to make my own because I get to control what goes into it and how many fruits are used.
This Green Power Smoothie tastes like it has a lot of sweet fruit in it, but it actually has more greens than sugars used! And I actually prefer a less sweet tasting smoothie so that I can add some toppings of a few berries and cut up fruit (like strawberries & bananas) to give you that pop of sweetness.
This smoothie has great benefits of tons of Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein from the chia seeds. As well as high in niacin, zinc, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, and iron from the spinach. The Greek yogurt provides many probiotics that are great for your gut.
Also just here are just some tips for creating a thicker smoothie bowl: use less liquid, use frozen fruit, blend in ice, scoop in a thickening agent like protein powder and/or chia seeds.
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (cashew milk, coconut milk, any kind of milk you prefer)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt)
- Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- *1 scoop protein powder (optional) (I use vanilla Vega protein powder)
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into bowl.
- Optional: Top the smoothie with more chia seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, goji berries, raspberries, blueberries, cut up strawberries, bananas, and kiwis.
- Take a spoon and enjoy that Green Power Bowl!