It looks like spaghetti, kind of tastes like spaghetti, butttt it’s yummier and about one third of the carbohydrates. It’s a Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Major ingredients include: fresh mozzarella, organic tomato, and squash! NO PASTA! Brilliant! This lunch at True Foods Kitchen has inspired me to recreate this fabulous meal.
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- 5 ounces caramelized onions
- Black pepper
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 4-6 tablespoons of chopped parsley, oregano, and thyme
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, drained
- First, roast the squash. Heat oven to 375F degrees. Microwave whole squash 2 minutes to soften skin a bit. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds and strings and discard. Rub cut insides of squash halves with olive oil, place cut side down on a cookie sheet or roasting pan, add 1/4 cup water to pan and roast in oven for about 45-50 minutes, until squash is tender all the way through.
- Remove squash from oven and set aside to cool. Once squash is cooled, scoop out flesh with a large fork and place it in a bowl. As you remove the flesh, it will begin to separate into long strings, like spaghetti.
- Time to assemble casserole. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Turn oven down to 350F degrees.
- Starting the first layer. Use your hands and put half the long squash threads in the prepared dish. Then layer with half the caramelized onions. Add a little pepper and salt over the top. Pour 1 ½ cups of the sauce, sprinkle with half the fresh herb mix, and sprinkle on half the Parmesan.
- On to the second layer. Layer the rest of the squash threads in the dish. Top with the rest of the caramelized onions, then the salt and pepper, then the rest of the sauce, as well as the rest of the fresh herb mix, the rest of the Parmesan, and all of the mozzarella balls, spacing them relatively evenly on top.
- Finally, bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve. Yay!
Serves about 4-6 servings. Cook time 30 minutes. Total time 1.5 hours
Check out my recipe featured on Beyond Type1: Spaghetti Squash Casserole