I love getting my traditional Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte! But it is important to look up their nutritional facts for the amount of sugars and carbs that you are putting into your body. Ordering a normal medium pumpkin spice latte can seem so simple and no harm. You start drinking it and apply how a few units of insulin that you think it will cover. But your blood glucose still ends up spiking anyways! That little cup is hiding secrets from you. Its hiding its enormous amount of carbs from you! A medium with whipped cream and 2% milk has a whopping 52g carbs and 50g sugars! Just looking at that innocent cup, you would never know! So just be aware of what you are getting and it helps to do a quick search online for its nutrition facts.
Here’s a tip: Ever so often I do love to sip on a yummy PSL on a fall day, so I order one, but I ask for no whipped cream and for half the amount of pumps as usual. With half the amount of flavor pumps, you are able to cut those sugars in half and its favor is still just as strong! It’s still a lot of carbs, but every bit helps right?!
When you don’t feel like spending $4 a cup at Starbucks for a PSL and you want a healthier version with actual real pumpkin ingredients, here is a great recipe for a delicious fall morning cup!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 drops of Stevia (or any choice of sweeter, honey, etc)
- 8 ounces of brewed coffee or 1-2 shots shots of expresso
- Heat almond milk and pumpkin in a saucepan together.
- Take off heat and stir in spices, sweetener, and vanilla. Pour into coffee cup.
- Use a frother or a blender to make milk foam. Then add the foam on top of the coffee and then top with sprinkled cinnamon
- Enjoy your very own yummy fall themed homemade PSL!
Total carbs 5g