Sometimes in the mornings, I feel too lazy to make any kind of big breakfasts, or I don’t want to dirty up my dishes to make anything, or I am in too much of a rush to make anything so I’ll grab a boring protein bar to quickly eat as I head out the door. However, that all changed when I discovered the wonderful idea of overnight oats. Overnight oats are such a simple and easy breakfast dish to have when you are in a rush in the mornings or even when you aren’t! It is already made and ready to go as soon as you wake up! One of my favorite things about overnight oats is that you can literally make it any kind of flavor you want!
Today’s chocolatey overnights oats is from Further Food called Double-Chocolate Brownie Batter Overnight Oats! The name itself drew me into making it, but then actually tasting it made me die in chocolate lovers heaven. Cacao is used to make its chocolate flavor. There are so many wonderful health benefits from cacao like iron, fiber, magnesium, and provides as a mood booster too! Chia seeds are also used which gives your body a huge boost in fiber and omega-3s!
Here is the wonderful Further Food recipe:
- 3/4 cup almond milk* (vanilla flavor is good!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats (I use Steel Cut Oats because they are lower in the glycemic index so it causes a lower rise in blood sugars, unlike regular oatmeal)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- pinch of sea salt
*You can add more or less milk depending on desired consistency. I tend to stick with 3/4 cup then add a few splashes of almond milk in the morning if needed.
*Also, taste test at this point- more chocolate, more sea salt, vanilla – only if needed!
- Optional add-ins:
1/2 – 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice: maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey, or melted chocolate
1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut oil
1 tablespoon protein powder
- Optional toppings:
dairy free chocolate chunks
1 tablespoon melted almond butter
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients except 1 tablespoon of the almond butter and stir until well combined OR add the ingredients to a mason jar, close with the lid and give the jar a good shake until well mixed.
- Place the mixture in the fridge in a closed container.
- In the morning add 1 tablespoon of melted almond butter or any additional toppings desired. Enjoy!
Per Serving: Calories: 371; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 10g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 284mg; Potassium: 427mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 12g; Calcium: 53%; Iron: 20%