This is such an easy way to make your own tuna salad, and it calls for an easy clean up because there’s no plates needed! You just use an avocado as a natural bowl! This is a great lunch to make because it is a spin off of the traditional tuna salad sandwich, but it doesn’t include bread! So it is low in carbs, but high in protein and good fats! Take this lunch on-the-go, on a picnic, to work, to school, or quickly whip it up at home!
- 1 avocado cut in half (with skin on)
- 1 can of tuna fish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 carrot chopped or grated
- Remove the seed out of the halved avocado and scoop out (and save) a little bit of the avocado out to make a bigger hole in the middle of the halved avocado.
- Create your tuna salad by mixing together the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, carrots, and the extra scooped out avocado.
- Place your tuna salad mixture into the halved avocado. Using it like a bowl!
- Enjoy your avocado tuna salad bowl!
TGIF! Friday nights are pizza nights! ..Well, maybe more like tart night! But it’s still the same idea. It’s big enough to cut it up into slices and share with the whole family. You could even just change the toppings to make it more like a pizza flavor too! There are so many ways to do this dish. It is simply one of the best versatile meals to make. And it’s healthy, gluten free, and low carb! I was inspired by Martha Stewart’s Asparagus Gruyere Tart, but I made some tweaks to her recipe to make it mine and to make it suitable for a healthier lifestyle. I used some different ingredients and created a paleo low carb crust to go along with it.
And let me tell you something… this recipe for the crust is to die for! It is so super duper simple, low carb, and you can use it for so many things! Use this crust recipe for a pizza, for a tart, for a pie, for a cheesecake crust! So many options!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 16-20 asparagus stalks, steamed (I used small cut ones)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a mixer, blend all of the crust ingredients together in a mixer until well combined into a dough.
- Roll out dough on to a cooking pan lined with parchment paper (makes it easier to take the crust off the pan when finished)
- Preheat oven to 325 F and bake the crust for around 10 minutes. Then take out the crust to put on the toppings.
- Spread the ricotta cheese over the whole crust surface.
- Then cover all of the ricotta with the shredded gruyere cheese (as much cheese as you like)
- Steam the asparagus then plunge them into ice cold water for a few seconds. Pat dry and toss in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, layer the steamed asparagus stalks in a row right next to each other.
- Finally, place the crust back into the oven for around 10-15 more minutes so that all the cheese as melted, the asparagus has darkened with some char, and the crust is golden.
- Take it out, cut it up and serve!
My new obsessions in life are wraps! I still like sandwiches, but wraps are so much more fun to be creative with and they are super easy to prepare. All you do is throw ingredients on to a tortilla or lettuce wrap and you are golden! It is also makes it fun for kids and adults to let loose and set those creative foodie ideas free! Today I made a Crunchy Zucchini Noodle Avocado & Feta Wrap that fills me up but doesn’t make me feel too full. Plus with all those yummy fresh veggies and ingredients, how can my taste buds say no?!
creating the wrap
1 tortilla (I used a low carb whole grain tortilla)
2 T hummus
¼ avocado, sliced
A few shredded or sliced carrots
¼ cup black beans
3 T crumbled feta cheese
1. Place the tortilla on a large plate. Spread the hummus in the middle leaving the edges bare.
2. Top the hummus with avocado slices then season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the carrots and beans.
4. With a Spiralizer, sprialize ½ a zucchini and place on top of the wrap. Then sprinkle with feta cheese on top as the finishing touch
5. Roll the wrap and cut into two halves. Use a toothpick to skewer each side before cutting so that the wraps don’t unwrap
6. Get down and enjoy that mouthful of fresh goodness!
If you just can’t hold back your excited-ness of spiralizing anything and everything, you can get your Spiralizer right here right now on my Amazon affiliate link. yippee!
This is a great dish to have when you are craving a fresh healthy meal, but don’t feel like actually cooking something up. The creamy avocado-basil sauce is really fantastic and light. It doesn’t end up leaving you have that full bloated feeling that you would normally get with thick heavy creamy sauces. The noodle dish itself is not only super good, but also is just beautifully vibrant with the colorful fresh veggie ingredients.
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
Ingredients for the Avocado Basil Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 T basil seasoning
- ½ T garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients thoroughly until smooth. Add more olive oil if the consistency is too thick. Taste test and adjust as necessary. You can also use a Food Processor if you have one. I just mixed them thoroughly by hand.
- With a Spiralizer spiralize zucchinis with Blade C (the small noodle tray option) and place into a bowl. Add in cherry tomatoes cut in half, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Then toss with ½ of the Avocado Basil Sauce and taste test to add more sauce.
- Ready to be served and devoured!
You can even buy your own Spiralizer on my Amazon affiliate link here! Yay!
Check out my recipe featured on Further Food along with nutritionalist commentary: Zucchini Noodles With Creamy Avocado Basil Sauce
Check out my recipe featured on Beyond Type1: Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Avocado Basil Sauce
Simplicity at its best. Here is a super simple salad that is just delicious and it’s one of my favorite salads to have. Serve this as a huge salad for lunch or add some chicken with it for yummy dinner.
- 1 cucumber
- Mixed greens lettuce
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Spiralize with a Spiralizer the cucumber (using Blade A) and add into a bowl.
- Mix lettuce, feta cheese, and cucumber in the bowl.
- Pour in olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette on salad as much or as less as you want. Toss all ingredients together again.
- You’re done! Eat up!
To get started on spiralizing, go to my affiliate link on Amazon here to purchase your own Spiralizer.
Even my pet bunny, Winnie, loves the spiralized leftovers too!