In honor of 3.14 (March 14th) aka Pie Day, why not share a post about PIE! One of my favorite pies EVER is a delicious Chocolate Cream Pie! Perfect for dessert, special occasions, holidays, whenever!
You could alway opt in to make the simpler version by buying the sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix and sugar free pie crust at the store. But this is more fun! ..At least, I think so!
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (any sweetener preference)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup cocoa or cacao powder or 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons of stevia
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 milk or full fat coconut milk (any milk preference)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the Whipped Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (any milk preference)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or any sweetener preference)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Crust:
- Place almond flour, coconut flour, salt, gelatin, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor or mixer.
- Mix until combined.
- Add egg yolk and butter mix until mixture begins to clump and continue until dough forms.
- Place dough on a large piece of plastic wrap. Form the dough into a 9-inch disk, wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to the middle position.
- Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and place in a buttered 9-inch glass pie dish.
- Press dough into the pie plate, making sure to come up the sides of the plate. Place a piece of unbleached parchment paper on top of the crust and cover with some pie weights.
- Bake for 11 minutes then move the parchment paper and pie weights.
- Bake for an additional 11 minutes until the crust is just golden brown. Allow to cool.
For the Filling:
- In a saucepan, mix together cocoa, stevia, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir milk in gradually.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Cool 10 minutes. Pour into pie shell
- Refrigerate. May take up to a few hours to fully stiffen.
For the Whipped Topping:
- Pour cream, honey, and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer.
- Whisk on medium-high for about 2 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream on top of the chocolate pudding.
- Garnish with chocolate flakes or cocoa powder.
- Serve cold. Leftovers can be saved in the fridge.
Serves: 12, Carbs: 16g